Saturday, April 02, 2005

Busy, busy, busy...

They say that those who "do" don't have time to write about it. That seems to be so true of my life these days. God has me doing so many things, and so many good things, but I feel guilty sometimes about not writing more to family and friends.

Some of the things God has me involved in:
  • last night I finished my 2nd week of teaching at the "Sunlin Hospital Medical Missionary Training Center". It is my 3rd semester working (volunteer) there. Some of my previous students have gone on mission around the world since graduating from that course. Not long ago, one of my favorite students, Yong Sik, a surgeon, wrote me his 1st letter from Sri Lanka. He is there with his family helping out with the tsunami relief. Here is his encouraging letter:

In the name of Jesus Christ we met .
I am yong sik chung one of your bible class student at sunlin hospital.
Now it's time we have to say "see you ".
I know and really appreciate your devotion for all of us.
God was always with you and us during all the class.
And I advanced very much as you know
God choosed my family as a pakistan missionary.
I ,my wife eun young and two children are following the guidance of Holy Spirit.
You also showed us ' How to love'
I love you as a brother in Jesus Christ.

How humbling that God would use little, old me, even indirectly, through mission training in English to bear fruit in another Christian brother's life!!!

Anyway, I am focusing on listening and speaking this time. (It's a 10 week course.) I have shared with my students that 1 Peter 3:15 is at the heart of our goal.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

So many people head out on mission work and are not prepared to really share their faith or portions of scripture with those they come into contact with. Last night I prepared 32 typical ?s that one may ask them on the mission field. The goal was to steer the conversation towards matters of faith and the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Here are the questions we got through:

  • What must someone do to go to heaven?
  • Tell me a little about yourself
  • What do you think of Americans? (Was a little disappointed with the "anti Bush" answer my student gave. Told them to avoid politics and "country bashing" when on field!!!)
  • Is it true that Koreans eat dogs?
  • Do you think peace on earth will ever be possible?
  • How can we stop nations from fighting one another?
  • Do you think there is any way to overcome poverty in this world?
  • What is Korea like?

Last week we looked at the deep ? of why God has chosen THIS specific time and place for us to be born and live....After good discussion we looked at Acts 17:26-28:

From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. "For in Him we live and move and have our being." As some of your own poets have said, "We are His offspring."

Wow! I've written quite a bit just on the medical missionary training so I think I'll sign off here for now and attempt to add a few pics from the last class (December) with my previous group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook