Wednesday, April 20, 2005

More Than A Carpenter (Final Study)

On Sunday, we looked at the 7th and last lesson on Josh McDowell's book "More than A Carpenter". Here is the study sheet in it's complete form:

MORE THAN A CARPENTER
By Josh McDowell
LESSON 7: DO YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED BY THE RISEN LORD?

How do you feel about airplane passengers with first class and business tickets being able to board the plane first? __________________________
How do you feel about clubs that offer exclusive memberships? ______________
How many entrances do you think a home should have? ____________________
Why do we like multiple entrances to our homes? _________________________

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. (John 10:9)

Do most people want one or multiple entrances into heaven? How might they feel about the message in John 10:9? ______________________________________
Why can't there be other ways to heaven? _______________________
Why is Jesus the only way to a relationship with God? _________________
What do you know about what other religions teach about how its members can earn salvation? _________________________________
GOD FORGIVES SINNERS:
Jesus told him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14:6)
There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12)
One students question...Why is Jesus the only way to a relationship with God? Why Jesus? Why not Buddha? Mohammed?
Another person asks....Evidently you have proven that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Aren't there other ways also to a relationship with God apart from Jesus?

Many people don't understand the nature of God. A misunderstanding of the basic nature and character of God has been the cause of so many theological and ethical problems. Most people understand God to be a loving God. However, he's not a God of love only. He is also righteous, just and holy.
One asks...How can a loving God allow a sinful individual to go to hell? We might also ask..How can a holy, just, righteous God allow a sinful individual into His presence?
Why couldn't God just forgive?
An executive states...My employees often do something, break something, and I just forgive them. Are you saying that I can do something that God can't do?
Where there is forgiveness, there is payment.
My daughter broke a lamp....I forgive her...but who pays for the lamp?
Someone insults you in front of others. You say, "I forgive you." But, who bears the price of the insult?
God says, "I forgive you." But, He also paid a high price.
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." (Galatians 3:13)

SEARCHING FOR MEANING:
Happiness...a state of mind, does not depend on circumstances
Meaning in life
Settle unanswered questions...Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I going?
Freedom...To have the power to do what I know I ought to do.
Prestige..being a leader, being, known, finding a good cause and giving of myself.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. (John 15:11)

JESUS CHRIST, NOT RELIGION:
"I'm fed up with religion. I'm fed up with the Bible."
Christianity is not a religion. Religion is humans trying to work their way to God through good works. Christianity is God coming to men and women through Jesus Christ offering them a relationship with Himself.
Although the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:17)
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (Galatians 3:10)
The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)
What are some misconceptions about Christianity that you have encountered? ________
Note which of the following actions Christian students did that helped lead Josh McDowell to Christ....
  • The lived with integrity, joy and peace
  • They were accepting
  • They insisted he clean up his act first
  • They convinced him with Scripture that Jesus was the Messiah
  • They declared with conviction Jesus is the only way of salvation

(All of the above, except for the 3rd one of course!)

A SKEPTICS CONVERSION

Accepting the truth but still not willing to follow...."I didn't care if Jesus did walk on water or turn water into wine. I couldn't think of a faster way to ruin a good time. My mind was telling me Christianity was true and my will was somewhere else."

A RADICALLY CHANGED LIFE:

Before conversion-restlessness. Always needed to be occupied.

After-Absence of conflinct...and the ability to cope.

Before-Bad temper, hatred, insecurity...inward grinding, ticked off, threatened by others

After-Love for his alcoholic father

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Dear friends, le us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us; He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love; not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us we also ought to love one another. (1 John 4:11)

(Wrap up point from Glenn-"A relationship with Jesus Christ really does change people.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook