Saturday, April 09, 2005

Treatment or Torture?!

When does a Chinese guy go to the dentist?
Answer: "Tooth hurty" (Get it?! "2:30")
When does Andy go to the dentist?
Answer: When he realizes it's been a couple of years!

Jeannie Chang, a DLE colleague, offered to take me to the dentist today. We were both unimpressed with a previous dentist several of us had visited about a month ago. At that time, they just did a quick surface check and said my teeth were fine. There were no x-rays or anything!
It's a good thing we got a 2nd opinion as the dentist today said that I had a few problems that needed work. The main point was that I would need 2 crowns at 400,000 won (or about $400US) each. The dentist said that crowns last only about 2 years...
Today was just a check-up and "scaling" (cleaning with a drill like instrument). My gums were bleeding like a stuck pig and I needed to be given some medication to help my sensitive gums.
"Sensitive gums, sensitive skin, sensitive heart; that's me!"
Well, nothing like a violent dentist to get you focused in prayer with the Lord!
Made me recall something I had heard-That dentists, of all professions, have the highest probability of committing suicide. Now, I myself don't believe every statistic I hear. Like Mark Twain said:
"There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics."
The high rate of dentists committing suicide may have something to do with the fact that no one wants to visit them as everyone despises dental visits. After today's visit, I can truly understand, for the first time, why this might be so...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U didn't have fun? I love going to the dentist! I look forward to it every six months!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

above comment from

2:20 PM  
Blogger Andrew Brown said...

Actually, you and Anna made it fun-Thanks!

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook