Tuesday, May 17, 2005

May-"Family Month" in Korea

May is a month of "celebrating the family" here in Korea. Instead of having a separate "Mother's Day" and "Father's Day", they have "Parent's Day" in Korea. This year was unusual as it was the 1st year I ever remember the Western Mother's Day and the Korean Parent's Day occuring on the same date. (May 8th) I am so thankful that I was able to call my Mom and hear her voice (and other members of the family were a bonus! :-)). I think Parents Day is a wonderful idea! "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right, "Honor your father and mother"-which is the first commandment with a promise-"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." (Ephesians 6:1-3) That commandment certainly is a lot easier to obey when God gives you WONDERFUL parents as He has given me! I love you, Mom! I love you, Dad!
It was also very odd for Teacher's Day and buddha's birthday to fall on the same date. (May 15th) Teacher's Day is always on May 15th but buddha's birthday changes each year as they celebrate it according to the lunar calendar. It breaks my heart to think of the millions of people led astray and worshiping/celebrating false idols..."The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips." (Psalm 16:4)

I must admit that it was hard to go back to work after having 5 days off....I got ready for class and must confess that I was feeling low in spirits as I dragged myself to class at 8:30 am. Imagine my surprise when I opened the class door to room 101...the lights were out, there was a cake with candles in the middle of the room surrounded by snacks, the song "God will make a way" was written on the whiteboard and the students started singing as KangSuk led them on a guitar! HOLY WOW!!! I was so overwhelmed that I could have cried!!! My students are much too kind. I told them that I know I don't deserve such attention and that they are very gracious to consider me at all. Teacher's Day was on Sunday-why would students throw a party on the Monday after?!, I thought. Anyway, I really praise God for such a blessing today even though I don't deserve it. Part of me has always been uncomfortable with teacher's day as the Bible states, "Nor are you to be called "teacher", for you have one Teacher, the Christ."
(Matthew 23:10) AMEN to that!!!
"The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day." (Isaiah 2:11,17)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook