Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Dental Visit #6 This Year!!! (and hopefully the last...)

What's the difference between a dentist and a New York Yankees fan?
Answer: One yanks for the roots and the other roots for the Yanks!
Wow! Hard to believe I've been to the dentist 6 times this year!
Last semester I went with my colleague, Jeannie Chang, but the prices were astronomical so we decided to get a 2nd opinion...Well, it turned out to be a good idea. We didn't get to the dentist till months later but we found out that Tim North from New Zealand (who works at Handong International Highschool-on the same campus as the university) was planning on going to one which he highly recommended. We went to "Han Ho Dental Clinic" in Pohang and the dentist works in an unusual way. He does the work in a few visits instead of "doing it all in one shot". Pretty good idea perhaps as trying to take care of sometimes years of decay in one visit is perhaps why so many people are terrified of dentists!
What he does is work on the tooth that needs the most work and when that's done he looks for the 2nd worse tooth and so on.
-The 1st visit was for x-rays and scaling.
-The 2nd visit was to get the decay out of one tooth with the drill and then plug it up with fluoride. (Which meant 2 hours without eating afterwards)
-The 3rd visit was putting a filling in the tooth.
-The 4th visit was to check on the tooth and then when he found a 2nd tooth with decay, he drilled that sucker and plugged it up with fluoride.
-The 5th visit was for the 2nd filling.
Jeannie and her great teeth were done on the 1st trip! Tim and I, however, have been coming every Wednesday for the past 5 weeks!
THANK GOD when he examined my teeth this time, he declared, "No decay"!
Here's something that I still can't believe but the dentist REFUSED TO ACCEPT ANY PAYMENT!!!!
The secretary said "It's okay. You're with him" pointing at Tim. Hey, maybe I should hang out with Tim more often, ha!ha! Seriously though, I think another strong reason was because of his relationship with Christ. As he told Tim, "You are a stanger in a strange country. I will not take your money." Want to know where he got that idea?!
"Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be aliens, because you were aliens in Egypt. (Exodus 22:21, 23:9)
"Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 19:10, 23:22)
"Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns." (Deut. 24:14)
Anyway, to show our appreciation, Tim and I bought 2 big gift set boxes of apples and pears for the upcoming Chuseok holiday.
I thank Tim for bringing me along,
I thank the dentist for his generosity
but ultimately I praise God for always looking out for me.
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17)

What does the dentist of the year get?
Answer: A little plaque...sorry but I had to share that "dental humor" with you. It may be years (God willing!) till I'm back in the dental chair!!!
Well, so much for the exciting history of Andy Brown's teeth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook