Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Doctrine of Christ - I AM

"As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground." (John 18:6)
In the Gospel of John, Jesus says "I Am" seven times while revealing Himself as the Bread of Life (6:35); the Light of the World (8:12); the Door (10:9); the Good Shepherd (10:11); the Resurrection and the Life (11:25); the Way, the Truth, and the Life (14:6); and the Vine (15:5). His use of "I Am" without a predicate complement (4:26; 8:24; 18:5,6,8) demonstrates His identity with Yahweh in the Old Testament, who was first revealed to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM" (Exodus 3:14).
Illustration: Yahweh was the covenant name of God in the Old Testament and was most often used to express God's relationship with His people. Jesus took on human flesh that He might bring humanity into an everlasting relationship with God.
Application: All of our needs in the Christian life, from salvation through glorification, are met in the "I Am."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook