Saturday, October 29, 2005

Mentioning "Unmentionables"


Oh, the difficulties in finding good underwear in Korea! Seems like all the mens underwear are in feminine colors like light blue/green or have funny patterns/pictures on them. Oftentimes, they are very "bikini looking" as in this photo and I'm often confused about just where the mens section is! The fact that the men in those pictures are often hairless (they usually just show stomache and leg regions) certainly doesn't help! As a language aside, male students usually refer to their underwear as "panties" and cologne as "perfume". (Not that I often mention underwear in class! ha!ha!) I tell them that it could get them a good whoopin' if they travel overseas and start talking about their "panties" and "perfume"!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd better stock up on my "briefs" when I go back to the U.S. next month.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Andrew Brown said...

More on the "undies scene", ha!ha!
There are "normal" Western undies available at NamdaeMoon in Seoul (right next to the Levi's section). A set of 4 for 15,000 won.
Also, I've noticed that if you take Korean size 100 for shirts and such, you should take 105 for underwear. What I mean is, go one size up for underwear and this should help.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook