Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Dental Visit #7 this year!

Can't believe that I was back in the dental chair this past Sunday...I just assumed that my visit back in September would be it for the year, but that wasn't the case. I think I have been overly stressed with the big move (which took 1 week to pack up my things and more than a week still trying to unpack and sort things out here in the new place), marking and preparing for the end of the semester. As a result, my gums under one tooth seemed so weak to me on Saturday (and sensitive) as if the bone can be seen through the bottom (?). In my paranoia, I started thinking about my rather unhealthy diet, years of drinking (before knowing Christ), coffee drinking, habit of grinding my teeth, lack of sleep and all...and I seriously thought that I was starting to "fall apart". Lord, I'm only 33...Am I starting to come undone? Started looking on-line for dental problems and got even more worried with the stuff that popped up!! I started thinking about what a fool I have been in taking inadequate care of the gift of my body which God has granted me. Then comforting scripture such as "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14) and "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame" (Isaiah 58:11) came to mind. I cried out and claimed these promises to God. My good friend, Jeong-Yeun, arranged a dental visit for me at Kangnam, Seoul at 8am. She made the appointment on-line at www.uichicago.co.kr the night before. It turns out that everything is fine and the dentist assured me that I wasn't falling apart...but just to make sure I got laser therapy on the gums around my "problem tooth". (Only 20,000 won-about $20-and is supposed to "regenerate the cells to cause growth" in that area.) How awesome that I was able to visit the dentist and still worship God on Sunday just 2 hours later!!! I couldn't help but think how blessed I am to be able to go almost immediately to anyplace and get such concerns dealt with. Do you realize how many people around the world do not receive any dental care?! I will never forget the fact that in Northern Ethiopia they do not even have a term in Tigrinian for "dentist" seeing how there are none. Actually, I heard that 4 dentists have been employed in the region to serve a population of more than 4,000,000. Wow!
2 things I will remember from this experience:
1) "Healthy eating=healthy teeth"; and
2) As a small poster on a podium in one of the small conference rooms at the dentist clinic read, "Attitude changes everything"-How true!
Thank you, Lord, indeed for such blessings in the form of wonderful dental care. May I never take such things for granted. Thank you also for great friends who listen to my silly concerns, take care of me and ease my mind!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Charlene said...

What a great answer to prayer. That is great you were able to get into a dentist so quickly also! Amazing how God does take care of us no matter what.Thanks for the update as I was quite concerned for you and still praying in my waiting.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Andrew Brown said...

Thanks for your prayers and advice on MSN! You and Adam are always such a comfort!

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook