Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Saints and Sinners

Church-Not a showcase for saints but a hospital for sinners.
(I've heard this quote before but was reminded of it during Sunday's sermon. It made me think of another quote:)
Every saint has a past
and
Every sinner has a future
As I was sitting in the pew on Sunday, I thought about how the world, in general, misunderstands the word "saint". Perhaps the "accepted definition" has been influenced by the Roman Catholic idea that "great and holy people who have performed at least 3 miracles". I believe there was even a Hollywood movie about a very unholy, non-Christian guy who performed "3 miracles" and so the movie was called "The Saint". How ridiculous! Funny enough, I've heard people who consider themselves Christians to be confused about the biblical fact that EVERY Christian in which the Holy Spirit is indwelt is a saint. Being a saint has nothing to do with one's one righteousness but everything to do with faith in the righteousness of Christ!!
"Lord," Ananias answered, "I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your SAINTS in Jerusalem." (Acts 9:13)
"On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the SAINTS in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them." (Acts 26:10)
"To all in Rome and who are loved by God and called to be SAINTS..." (Romans 1:7)
"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. As in all the congregations of the SAINTS." (1 Corinthians 14:33)
"To the church of God in Corinth, together with all the SAINTS throughout Achaia:" (2 Corinthians 1:1)
These are just a few examples of THE BIBLICAL USE of the word saint...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook