Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Was reading an exciting story of a modern day "Buried Treasure story" (here at http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8054&feedId=online-news_rss20 ) Later, I was at a DVD store and I noticed "Treasure Island" was only 4,900 won (about $5US). I decided to buy it as I remembered reading it as a child and really enjoying it. The picture on the cover also reminded me of one of the amusement rides at DisneyLand (or "DisneyWorld"? not sure-anyway the one in California) that I rode on when in California at the age of 14. It really is a pretty decent movie and I enjoyed some of the lines.

GREAT LINES FROM "TREASURE ISLAND"
"If you weren't so confounded exclamatory, we might understand you better!"
Doctor: There's only one man I'm afraid of.
Captain: Name the dog.
Doctor: You, sir. For you can't hold your tongue.
Long John Silver: "Head full of pirates, heh, heh. But he'll find, same as I, that the sea be mostly hard work; and the biggest satisfaction a man gets is doing his duty.
Parrot: Son of a double dutchman
L.J.S.: Aint you a pretty one. Swearing blue fire in front of a gentleman?
Well blow me down for an old sea calf!
L.J.S.: They aint pretty but they knows the sea. (talking of his crew)
Captain: I find his conduct un-English. Downright un-English!
Pirates: Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
L.J.S.: You'll need your sea legs out there tonight, sir.
You thick headed swab!
I'll have every one of the mutinous dogs in irons.
Ben: I haven't spoke with a Christian these 5 years.
Jim:Were you shipwrecked?
Ben: Nay, mate. Marooned!
"Gentlemen", says you. "Flint's men", says I.
I'm as good as pork and I knows it!
Don't be afraid of those bilge rats. Don't underestimate them either.
"Ar!" (What's a pirate movie without a good old pirate "Ar!")
A man who's spent years biting his nails on a deserted island can't be expected to appear as sane as you or I.
The word of a gentleman be good enough for Long John.
You're a good man, doctor. I never seen a better and I'd hate to see the likes of you skewed on the end of a pike. So here are my terms...
Doctor: Your word?!
Long John: Handsomer you couldn't ask.
Them that die will be the lucky ones!
"Oh, for ten toes!" (The one-legged Long John Silver screams during battle)
I'll keep a weather eye out for a man what's trying to get a foot in each camp and him with only one leg.
Will ye take Captain Flint (his parrot)? I've tried caging her before but this old bird, she can't abide a prison. There ain't much in nature as can.
L.J.S.: The black spot. Well, shiver my timbers. What be this? This here was cut from a Bible. What fools cut a Bible?
other pirate: What did I say? "No good will come of that", I said.
L.J.S.: Was it you, Job Anderson? Now, Job can say his prayers. He's had his slice of luck, Job has. Cut a Bible? You'll all swing now...Put it back in the good book, mate. Poor rovin' seamen like you needs every scrap of scripture he can get!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counter
view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook